Blogtober 2021 – Day 22
I originally shared this post way back in June 2017 and thought it might be interesting to post it again, highlighting anything that’s changed during the intervening four years.
And now for something completely different. Sometimes it does a lot of good to take a moment and count one’s blessings. I’ve realised how lucky I am that this really didn’t take me very long to put together…
- Making lists. Win-win!
- A large mug of tea. Strong, just a drop of milk, absolutely NO sugar (urgh). Oh, and a quiet 10 minutes to drink it!
- Gardening. I don’t have much of a garden at the moment – it’s a work in progress, but I even enjoy the heavy, clearing work.
- Spotify. Music while I work – yey! More often these days its Audible and audiobooks.
- A hot bath. With a good book – often the only time I ever get round to reading for pleasure.
- An empty ironing basket. I REALLY don’t like ironing, so I don’t often have an empty basket 😀 I still dislike ironing but I’ve now got into a routine and often have an empty basket – hooray
- Trying new fragrance oils for soap
- Making soap. Obvs…
- A long shower. It’s my child free, thinking time, so it inevitably goes on for a little longer than it should.
- Running. I’ve got out of the habit recently – must get back to it, for so many reasons! I got back into the habit, and then out of it again when my feet were operated on. I’m not quite ready to get back to it, but I hope to sometime soon.
- An early night. Getting enough sleep is rare – must try harder!
- Linguistics books. I love language, and languages. I studied linguistics at university and it’s still a passion.
- Warm sunshine. Need I say more?
- Camping. Just me, the other half and the kids, and NO wifi. Heaven.
- Pink / purple hair. I like jazzing it up sometimes. I’m not ready for frumpiness! Oh I need to do this again (but I think my hairdresser would throttle me)
- Homemade Pizza. My husband makes the absolute best pizza in the world – his pizza dough is the stuff of legends.
- A good novel.
- Kickboxing. I only started at the beginning of the year, but I’m hooked. Trying for my orange belt in a couple of weeks time. I had to give up kickboxing a couple of years ago when kicking became too painful for my feet, but I got as far as my first brown belt!
- A glass of good red wine. Malbec is a current favourite. And still is!
- Living here. ‘Here’ is Beddgelert, in the heart of Snowdonia. It’s often wet, but it’s also very green, very picturesque, very Welsh, and I never EVER take it for granted. I’ve done city living, now I’m home.
- Cheese. Love love cheese. Except for goat’s cheese, bleugh…
- Barbecues. With friends, sunshine and a couple of beers.
- My filofax. I’d be lost without it. PLEASE don’t let me ever lose it!!
- The Archers. I don’t watch any soaps on TV, but I do like my daily 15min fix of this. I stopped listening to the Archers almost two years ago, when it went off the air in the first lockdown, and I’ve never got round to picking it up again. Maybe I will now.
- A tidy, clear kitchen. It’s rare, but yeah, I like it 🙂
- Baking. Cakes, cookies, scones, shall I go on?
- Netflix. I don’t watch much TV, but when I do get a free evening, House of Cards and Dexter are current faves. The Sopranos, The Killing & Breaking Bad were just incredible. There doesn’t seem to be as much good stuff on these days – or is it just me?
- Learning languages. Currently it’s Russian. I did a short course at Uni, then did evening classes in my 30s and got to GCSE Level, and now I’ve taken it back up again with the Duolingo app. Now I just need someone to practice on!!
- Long walks in the countryside. But at the moment they’re never long enough for me as we’re trying hard not to go too far and put the children off walks for good!! Since I wrote this Jac the Collie joined us, so I’m walking more than ever, but it’s not often the kids join us.
- Days on the beach. With the children. Building sandcastles and playing in the waves.
- My children laughing. I could have just said my children. And they do, of course make me happy, but they also drive me utterly crazy at times. But hearing them laugh? That’s just the best
- Blog feedback. A little click on that ‘like’ button, or even better, a quick comment, is always appreciated, and guaranteed to make me happy! Unless the comment is to tell me you hate my blog. That wouldn’t make me happy…
- Greek yoghurt with fresh berries. Not that horrid low fat rubbish mind – it has to be full fat!!
- Fresh bedding. Show me someone who DOESN’T like fresh linen on the bed!
- Modern Technology. My fitbit is never off my arm, and I don’t know what I’d do without my bluetooth speakers!
- My mum’s trifle.She brought some to hospital after the birth of my first child. Best post-delivery snack EVER. But it mustn’t have jelly in it. Never ever put jelly in it. Maybe I should share the recipe?
- Reese’s Peanutbutter Cups. Not a huge fan of peanut butter really, but add it to chocolate and I could eat it all day.
- Christmas at home. Surrounded by family.
- My husband’s cooking. I already mentioned his pizza up there ^^ But it’s not just pizza. He does most of the cooking in our house and he’s flippin’ good at it. I’m a lucky bunny.
- Climbing mountains. It’s been over 7 years since I last climbed a mountain. Not since I was pregnant with my eldest. The youngest starts full time school in September and I’ve already told my husband that he needs to book a day’s holiday THAT VERY WEEK and we’re heading to the top of the nearest mountain. We did! That very week! I still LOVE getting to the top of a mountain.
- Swimming in the sea. Or a river, or a lake. But not in the cold – I am a lightweight….
- Roller coasters and water slides. I’m a thrill seeker at heart.
- Adventures abroad. I’ve done a bit in my time – Asia, Australia, Europe, but the last time we were overseas was when I was pregnant with our eldest, and I’m getting itchy feet. Plans need to be made! We’ve still not been abroad – plans were made and then Covid struck. Maybe next year.
- The Big Bang Theory. Binge watched it on Netflix last year, and was bereft when we got to the end. Are they making more episodes? We’ve watched the whole series again since then 😀
- Nutella. My guilty pleasure – I try not to indulge too much! I’m not such a fan these days, but I’ll bite your hand off for a dark chocolate digestive.
- Star Gazing. I used to be a member of the British Astronomical Association, and I’m fascinated with all things space-related. Another of those hobbies that I hope to pick up again one day.
- Waking up really early, and actually getting up…
- Good grammar. I’m a Grammar Nazi. I can’t help it, it’s in my DNA 😉
- Going to the cinema. These days it’s usually to see kids’ films, but I still enjoy the experience. I’ve still not seen an adult film in the cinema since that time!
- Second hand book Shops. Big ones, that I could get lost in.
So there you go. A little insight into what makes me, me.
Thanks for reading, back tomorrow!